5.04.2009

Image is Found workshop. . .

I realize this post will be pretty boring for a lot of people out there. But I know there are at least a few of you who may find it interesting.
I went to the Image is Found workshop a few weeks ago and it. was. awesome.
We ate dinner with Nate and Jaclyn the night before and then had a full day (like 12 hours) the next day.
A few noteworthy items.
Nate and Jaclyn are as awesome as I expected them to be. Down to earth. And hilarious.
Nate is a very deliberate shooter. He spends a lot of time finding the spots, not a lot of time shooting.
The workshop focused a LOT on business. More than actual shooting.
Nate's favorite phrase is "at the end of the day". I'm sure he said it at least 100 times.
They didn't hold back on anything. They answered every question in detail.
And the best part--they were completely humble. So refreshing to be around who I consider to be some of the best photographers in the world, and they weren't arrogant.

And for those of you who are dying to know why they switched from Canon back to Nikon--to put it simply, they think Canon cameras suck. They had a list full of reasons why Nikon was better and they did a pretty good selling job (Nikon should probably give them free stuff--but they don't). But I'm sticking with my Canon. It's done me fine so far.

This was an unusual workshop because we didn't do any actual shooting while we were there. They ask that we don't shoot while they're shooting so we can watch what they're doing instead of concentrating on our own pictures. But I did take a few of them in action which is what I'm posting here.

Summary. The worshop was 100% worth it for me. So glad I went. I got a ton of good ideas. A lot of helpful advice. And there are more changes to come. Soon.



They shoot wide angle lenses 99% of the time. Which means you are SUPER close to your subjects. Slightly awkward for everyone involved, but the results are definitely worth it.


And it was freaking cold in California. So lame.




Nate's shoes. Pretty sweet.

I didn't notice this until looking at the pictures, but Nate shoots with his middle finger. weird.






If you want to see the results of the workshop, click here.

3 comments:

Bianca Valentim Photography said...

nice pics!!!
It was good to meet you!
Keep in touch!
:)
:)
Bianca

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

well...
time to come out with it.

i look at your blog all the time. i love your style, and think you are a fantastic photographer!

i am so envious of this workshop you attended! i love the image is found.

nice work.. all of it :)

My Name is Mike said...

I need to call you and get more details....I"M SOOOO JEALOUS!!!

The middle finger is a bad habit from being a Canon shooter. I do the same thing. We use the middle finger to press the shutter so our index is free to adjust the shutter speed on the fly if necessary.